• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4Kids Entertainment...worst dubbing company ever?
4Kids is widely considered the 'worst dubbing company ever'...but really, its reputation FAR surpasses it. I'm going to explain why I THINK 4Kids is not the worst dubbing company IN MY OPINION.

4Kids edits - People have critisized 4Kids for editing or 'butchering' anime...something that Nelvana has done themselves but 4Kids actually look more real than Nelvanas edits...

4Kids Americanizing things - This may be a VERY bad thing to people...but I can understand why they wanted to do it and for that I can't hate them for it. They aren't trying to make people hate it, they just want to make the audience understand it better, after all SOME anime can be hard to understand.

4Kids dubbing - This one was largely criticized for because they censor SOME death scenes or cover them up with lies. They also Americanize the dialogue whcih people hated...really, your criticizing 4Kids for changing most of the dialogue...lets look back at an anime that had such a TERRIBLE dub...Duel Masters...who happen to be dubbed by Plastic Cow, Inc/Howling Cat Enterprises (I think). Duel Masters has a TERRIBLE dub where they CONSTANTLY make pop-culture references or break the fourth wall (It was fine in Pokemon because they never broke the fourth wall constantly and some did happen but Duel Masters...)...you know the anime which has a dub with changed dialogue and NO ONE COMPLAINS ABOUT...WHICH BY THE WAY WAS IN NO WAY IN THE JAPANESE VER AND IT WAS ALSO NOT HILARIOUS, you'll probably laugh at it...once...you guys REALLY think that 4Kids is worse than Plastic Cow/Howling Cat. These two dubbing companies have ruined Battle B-Daman and Duel Masters with awful dubbing (Duel Masters is still worse). At least 4Kids tried to be good, I mean look at Pokemon...they did pretty well with in dubbing...Plastic Cow and Howling Cat dubbing Duel Masters and Battle B-Daman...not so much. Asides from Plastic Cow/Howling Cat...there is also Nelvana, they cut out scenes in Beyblade 2000 and they ruined Cardcaptors Sakura and did they get any better...not really, I mean they follow the story more but in things like Bakugan: Battle Brawlers, they still hide romantic scenes such as Runo admitting she loves Dan. In the Metal Saga Beyblade series they constantly use the phrases 'Understand', 'Hear Me' (Which wasn't needed except for place holders), 'Go now/Go hard" (I know they say 'Eh-kerr' in the JP version but it could have been more variable).

It just boggles my mind how anyone can say "4Kids is the worst dubbing company" when really its no worse than any others so why does anyone only care that 4Kids has messed up but no one else? I don't know...maybe 4Kids is the worst for you but for me...not so much.
They did mess up yugioh 5D's and they killed the 1st 52 episodes of one piece. (Funimation has since re-dubbed)other than that it is standard of some companies to change and cut up some anime to save time and money.
“You, people down there, are you satisfied with the way the world is? As for me… I hate it.” – Lockon Stratos
Quote:They did mess up yugioh 5D's and they killed the 1st 52 episodes of one piece. (Funimation has since re-dubbed)other than that it is standard of some companies to change and cut up some anime to save time and money.

Yes...but how can you say Duel Masters has a better dub? It is nothing but bombarded with pop culture references, fourth wall jokes and terrible dubbing that is far worse than any 4Kids dub. They aren't funny, they weren't even in the original version of Duel Masters...I get it, they were trying to differienciate themselves to other card fight type anime but they did it FAR too much. What were Plastic Cow/Howling Cat trying to do? Trying to be the next 'Family Guy or 'The Simpsons' by adding lame and unfunny pop culture references? At least 4Kids did try to make it good but Plastic Cow/Howling Cat...they probably sat their lazy backs and didn't even try to make Duel Masters anything tolerable to watch after the scaving reaction the anime got and before you go "Duel Masters was never that good so it doesn't even matter" I hope you remembered that we also had Nelvana who COMPLETELY ruined a critically praised anime 'Cardcaptors Sakura'...I find that WAY more offensive than ruining 'Yu-Gi-Oh 5D'.

Another thing is that whilst 4Kids did ruin One Piece...there is always the FUNimation version but Duel Masters...there is NO BETTER ALTERNATIVE in English Dub. The Duel Masters franchise was never dubbed again but with the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise at least their being dubbed by someone else.
I want to know who dubbed digimon fusion because they completely screwed up digimon xros wars and dubbed it almost EXACTLY like duel masters :angry:

[Image: FJ9BEy.gif]
Quote:I want to know who dubbed digimon fusion because they completely screwed up digimon xros wars and dubbed it almost EXACTLY like duel masters :angry:

Well I know 4Kids didn't do it because they never dubbed any of the Digimon series. I believe Saban Brands dubbed it. Also, how is the dub like Duel Masters? Yes all the voice actors/actresses from Howling Cat are present in Digimon Fusion but I really don't judge the dub by the VA's. So how are the dubs from Digimon Fusion and Duel Masters alike? Did Digimon Fusion pull out pop culture references constantly when in the JP version it never happened like Duel Masters? I bet the Duel Masters dub was far worse.
Since this is a B-Daman community; I believe it's more appropriate to say that the company that dubbed Battle B-Daman Fire Spirits worse than 4Kids IMO.

I cannot stand Gunnos' voice and Liena's too. It's as if they hired a drunk person behind the mic.

The best voice is Aquilas but only because he speaks rarely.

But seriously, I believe the real people to blame are the Dubbing Director and the Voice Casting Director. They are the ones who usually fail to bring out the best from voice actors. Heck, going back to the FS; Kirk Thornton (Gray Michael Vincent) is a great VA but somehow he performed below standards in FS. 
[Image: Sparky.jpg]
Semper Natura Credo | Always trust your instincts.
Quote:Since this is a B-Daman community; I believe it's more appropriate to say that the company that dubbed Battle B-Daman Fire Spirits worse than 4Kids IMO.

I cannot stand Gunnos' voice and Liena's too. It's as if they hired a drunk person behind the mic.

The best voice is Aquilas but only because he speaks rarely.

But seriously, I believe the real people to blame are the Dubbing Director and the Voice Casting Director. They are the ones who usually fail to bring out the best from voice actors. Heck, going back to the FS; Kirk Thornton (Gray Michael Vincent) is a great VA but somehow he performed below standards in FS.

I never knew Aquilas spoke in the dub, I mean yes he did speak but not until ep 27. Oh and yes your right, the dubbers of FS is way worse than 4Kids because their poor acting, poor choices for the characters voices (especially Tsubame/Terry) and a very unnatural pitch for the voices (Its too loud or too quiet). At least 4Kids tried and they actually didn't do a bad job in dubbing...but Plastic Cow/Howling Cat and the FS dubber didn't even care and just rushed it and Plastic Cow/Howling Cat thought that adding lame pop culture references and fourth wall jokes that wasn't even in the JP ver would make up for their rushed dub that they probably thought was going to be the 'next Family Guy and The Simpsons'. The only FS voices that were OK were Haja and Enjyu because Haja actually sounds like he is a villain and not some robot like the oher characters. Listening to FS dub is like pulling teeth...crocodile teeth...out of your eyelids...EVEN NELVANA TRIED THEIR BEST (At least with Beyblade and Medabots (Not the Metal Saga Beyblade though)) because in old gen Beyblade, they added original soundtracks like 4Kids did with Pokemon. Its way better than having to listen to Mimi Tasogare from Duel Masters go "We almost went through a whole episode without making a Star Wars reference...".

Before anyone goes "Duel Masters ENG dub was so bad, its good/funny"...NO IT ISN'T, ITS SO BAD ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY. Its one of those things where 'I hate the dub and can't understand why anyone would like it'
Enjyu sounds okay but that's not saying too much.

And god, Terry's Scottish accent. Nearly made me throw my speakers out to the window.
[Image: Sparky.jpg]
Semper Natura Credo | Always trust your instincts.
Quote:Enjyu sounds okay but that's not saying too much.

And god, Terry's Scottish accent. Nearly made me throw my speakers out to the window.
Terry's FS was so unspeakable that it would be cruel to use it as a prank to your friends/enemies. However I can't call them the worst dubbing company either as they are just an ameteur dubbing company but they are on the same league as Plastic Cow/Howling Cat. In FS they all sound so depressing and very robotic...they are the Action 52 of all dubbing companies...but at least FS actually follow the script better than Battle B-Daman, Cardcaptors and Duel Masters.
Stay on topic.

Anything about B-Daman anime should go inside the Anime Discussion board, not here.
Away
I actually do agree that 4Kids should be given a little slack. A lot of their censorship was done to fit within FCC guidelines for the time slots their shows aired (usually Saturday mornings) and of course Americanizing things makes them far easier to consume for their target audience, even when it got a little ridiculous (as a kid, I was content with them just calling onigiri doughnuts in PokÃÂmon, no need to actually edit them out...)

I did really appreciate their short-lived series of uncut DVDs. I still have the first Yu-Gi-Oh! one around somewhere. It's a shame that it didn't really do too well to continue, since at the time there wasn't really much of an alternative for getting the unedited versions of the shows they dubbed in America with good subtitles (especially for someone like me with crappy internet back then, my only option was to rent these mostly badly subbed bootleg DVDs from my local comic shop).

Speaking of it, though, I actually didn't really mind the Duel Masters dub. Then again, since I enjoyed things like Samurai Pizza Cats, I'm kind of used to "joke dubs." I do feel that the series may have done a better outside of Japan with a more serious dub, but considering that Yu-Gi-Oh! was still very strong at the time it started airing in America it more than likely would have done much more harm than good. They needed to do something to differentiate their card-dueling anime from the big guy in town, so I'm guessing they took a look at the exaggerated art style and just decided to give it the SPC treatment.

As for Nelvana, their dub of the original Beyblade series was pretty enjoyable (I'm still upset that "Hang On" was never released though, that was one of my favorite of their insert songs) but the metal series dubs were almost unwatchable because of the horrible decisions made by the director (Ginga's ear-grating voice, constant blatant mispronunciations of Ryuga's name, and speaking of Ryuga... who heard his Japanese voice and then decided to turn it into... that?). I made it all the way through Metal Fusion but gave up on it soon afterwards.

Really, my biggest problem with 4Kids was leaving the dub of GX unfinished and ending 5Ds an entire season early. Pretty lame and at this point it's ridiculous to think they'd go back and finish them properly.

Though I do wonder why having the more realistic card designs in Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Movie was okay but apparently not for Bonds Beyond Time. Did it ever air on TV? That'd explain it, but I don't remember it.

Quote:I want to know who dubbed digimon fusion because they completely screwed up digimon xros wars and dubbed it almost EXACTLY like duel masters :angry:

Also, for the record, Saban has pretty much always treated Digimon like this ("Oh, you sell ties?" "No, my name is Tai!") so it should be expected by now. I actually like it.

[Image: arcadesig.png]
Quote:Speaking of it, though, I actually didn't really mind the Duel Masters dub. Then again, since I enjoyed things like Samurai Pizza Cats, I'm kind of used to "joke dubs." I do feel that the series may have done a better outside of Japan with a more serious dub, but considering that Yu-Gi-Oh! was still very strong at the time it started airing in America it more than likely would have done much more harm than good. They needed to do something to differentiate their card-dueling anime from the big guy in town, so I'm guessing they took a look at the exaggerated art style and just decided to give it the SPC treatment.
I already know he creators wanted to differentiate Duel Masters from other card game animes but I must stress...why pop culture references and references to movies and TV shows? I could live with their breaking the fourth wall jokes as long as they are still relatable to what the anime has to offer but adding references that don't mean anything? They might as well have done an Action 52 reference for no reason what so ever. Also I must stress that this isn't one of those dubs that is "So bad, its good/funny"...its so bad its NOT even funny. The only time I actually liked the dub is when Shobu pointed out the 'father is missing' anime cliche, that was great because that was actually a tiring cliche and the dub did at least point that one out. In fact any of the anime cliches they at least point out are not bad but the dub is bombarded with pop culture/TV/movie references...NO KYOSHIRO, YOUR NOT BATMAN! At this point, I would rather watch Mars Of Destruction...yes I went there. 4Kids isn't as bad as people say, people just hate it because they 'ruined' their beloved One Piece. I know Plastic Cow and Howling Cat were trying to be different...but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't have anything against these guys other than their annoying dub. If you like their dubbing, thats cool but I just hate it myself.

But even with the horrible dub of Duel Masters...its still better to watch this than some other anime like Scan2Go (I really hate it by the way) but I'd still watch any 4Kids dub than the Duel Masters dub.

As for the Nelvana thing...yes I agree they did well on the Bakuten Shoot Beyblade series and I will admit Metal Saga dubs weren't great but at least they follow the stories. The choice of voices are bad but it is something you can over come...but their repeats on the phrases "Hear Me" or "Understand" is something completely different. They are sometimes only added as place holders (like the number 0) but it isn't as bad as the Duel Masters dub...Nelvana has done far worse...CARDCAPTORS SAKURA. I find their dub if Cardcaptors Sakura worse than the Metal Saga Beyblade dubs. I really liked Cardcaptors Sakura but Nelvana has really dug rock bottom but somehow surprises you by digging...and there is Nelvanas worst dub...BeyWarriors: Beyraiderz (perhaps up there with some of the worst animes I have seen). I hated BeyRaiderz so much I added it on my rating system as my lowest rating and people keep whinging that "4Kids ruined anime" is not really true. Yes they edited it but they were only trying to help American kids understand the anime.
Quote:Also, for the record, Saban has pretty much always treated Digimon like this ("Oh, you sell ties?" "No, my name is Tai!") so it should be expected by now. I actually like it.
This is seriously the best thing I ever read.

Also, since I'm with an otaku community in Google+, I think this topic is worth sharing... Sans the B-Daman dub discussion that somehow ended up here...
A-ya, AKA the dead unfortunate.