• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Controller discussion
This topic is where we talk about game controllers in general! Whether they be first-party accessories or third-party ones, they are what allows us to play the games.

Namco's NeGCon (pronounced neh-jee-kon) controller for the PS1 is one of the more unique ones. It's got these two twistable halves, and the gimmick is that when you're playing a racing game like Ridge Racer, you'd twist the halves to steer your car. It was popular for racing games. Oh, and there's also a black version that's got a triangular Start button.

I'm interested in this controller, because I think it looks like something out of a video arcade in which Namco did a location testing for their PS1 games at the start of the system's lifespan (i.e. Ridge Racer), or a video game console of Namco's design that they never released. I remember the first time I saw this thing is in the manual of Tekken 2 for the PS1. 

If I ever get one of these, I'd only use it for any game that doesn't use the L2/R2 buttons, because the NeGCon doesn't have those. Plus, it doesn't have a select button, either. 

[Image: AlexSingature1.png] Credit to EdBoy3 (thanks, dude!)
Never once heard of or seen the NeGCon before, but it makes me want to get one now. Playing the first Gran Turismo with one of those would feel like an actual challenge. Of course, analogue sticks are always good to use as well...

I'm going to throw two controllers out here right now. One which I absolutely adore, another which I hate with a passion.

The Manifestation of Hatred: Intel Wireless Gamepad

Now, don't get me wrong: this gamepad worked. It was somewhat easy to use, but it was a horseshoe. It didn't look nice, and it ate three AAA batteries per ten hours of use. The almighty processing lord Intel did somewhat okay at their game controller, but it sucked to hold and looked horrible. But of course, people bought it and Intel made a pretty penny from it.

The Manifestation of Love, Peace and all things Awesome: The Nintendo Gamecube Controller

Nobody can hate this controller. Yes, it looks strange, but it's the best controller you will ever use in your entire life. Each button is designed according to it's use: The A button is used most, so it's large, green and in the middle. The B button is used quickly for backing out, so it's just below the A button and smaller. The X and Y were usually extra functions so they were rounded and circled around the A button for quick use. The C stick had little friction and was perfect for navigating the camera around. The Analogue stick on the left had a really nice grip to it. And the triggers were rounded perfectly for your fingers. Not to mention the little gap in the middle of the controller which, while it wasn't designed for it, made it easy to hang the controller wherever you liked.

So yeah. Throwing those two into the mix. 

Quote:

The Manifestation of Love, Peace and all things Awesome: The Nintendo Gamecube Controller

Nobody can hate this controller. Yes, it looks strange, but it's the best controller you will ever use in your entire life. Each button is designed according to it's use: The A button is used most, so it's large, green and in the middle. The B button is used quickly for backing out, so it's just below the A button and smaller. The X and Y were usually extra functions so they were rounded and circled around the A button for quick use. The C stick had little friction and was perfect for navigating the camera around. The Analogue stick on the left had a really nice grip to it. And the triggers were rounded perfectly for your fingers. Not to mention the little gap in the middle of the controller which, while it wasn't designed for it, made it easy to hang the controller wherever you liked. 

Agreed completely. I remember the first time I saw a GameCube controller it confused me to no end, but to this day it is still one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. The way it fits my hands almost perfectly is amazing. Mine still takes the abuse of heavy Melee/Project M play almost daily.

I'm a real sucker for alternate input methods. Gimmicky controllers like the Guitar Hero/Rock Band instruments and the Samba de Amigo maracas give a greater level of immersion than can be experienced on a normal pad.

I'm also a proud owner of one of these babies:

The Logitech G25 force-feedback steering wheel with full pedals and shifter with dual H-shifter/sequential shifter performance. I only use it for my simulators for PC, though unfortunately it's received limited use lately as my current setup doesn't allow me to just keep it plugged in all the time as I used to.

Being really into fighting games and other old arcade-style games, I'm a big fan of arcade stick style controllers.

The one I currently use is the standard MadCatz Fight Stick Tournament Edition (Round 2).

I have the PS3 version which also works with my PC for things like MAME. Since it uses actual arcade parts from Sanwa Denshi, it's pretty much like having a ton of arcade machines all on my computer. I plan on modding mine eventually to replace the stock art, side panels, and bezel, and make it compatible with the 360 as well.

But of course, no conversation about alternate game controllers is complete without a mention of the Steel Battalion controller.

What I wouldn't give to be able to get my hands on one of these things. With the main console clocking in at over 34 inches/88cm, this controller dwarfed the size of the actual XBox console it was made for. Unfortunately, that plus the relative scarcity of the controller means I probably won't be getting one without dropping a few hundred bucks for it.

Special mention goes out to Namco's GunCon 2. I loved using that thing for Time Crisis.

[Image: arcadesig.png]
I happen to have one of these: Sega Genesis 6 Button Arcade Stick

Ah, yes. One of my favorite game controllers in my collection of old-school retro games. I got it couple or so years ago at a goodwill store, along with two Nintendo Power promo tapes. At one point, I took it apart so that I could clean the fire buttons, which were gummed up with sludge. When I put it back together, the fire buttons press like a charm.

I also happen to have this, as well: Hudson Soft Joycard SSS control pad

A third-party NES controller by the makers of Bomberman and Star Soldier with rapid-fire settings and a stereo headphone jack, along with a red composite audio cable.

Atari CX-78

This control pad was released for the Atari 7800 in Europe only, and never in the United States. This simplistic control pad has a removable joystick extension on the D-pad, along with two fire buttons on the bottom right corner.

NES controller
Ah yes, the classic NES control pad with that retro layout. First seen on the legendary Nintendo Entertainmen System.

Sega Master System control pad
I happen to have one of these, the version of the Sega Master System controller that's got the cord coming out from the side. The buttons press smoothly, and the directional pad is decent enough. However, I don't have a Master System console of my own.

Moderator Notice: Do not double post under 48 hours.
Controller Evolution #1: Sony PlayStation

Some of these prototype controller designs actually look pretty cool, especially the one in the upper left corner resembling the Sega/Tec Toy Master System Super Compact

Controller Evolution #2: Steam Box controller

The prototype versions of the upcoming Steam Box controller. Personally, I like the second one on the top row and the second on the bottom row, because I think they look cool, especially with those trackballs on them.