• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obscure game consoles
This is where we talk about consoles that never really caught on or never made it to the market.

Last month in may, I found out about the Sega Pluto, a prototype created in the mid-to-late-1990s. It was to be a variation of the Sega Saturn with new bodywork and an onboard version of the NetLink modem. Only two prototypes were made. It was also to have its own games, but the Sega Pluto never made it to the market; for one thing, the PSX was kicking its butt over in the U.S. markets, and the NetLink service wasn't exactly the most reliable, so the Pluto was shelved. In April, after many years of obscurity, the two prototypes had surfaced. The #2 prototype was put up for auction at GameGavel. Lots of money was offered, but not enough was offered to meet the reserve price. I saw the #1 prototype on eBay in May. Last I checked the bid was around $5000, and now it showed up in the listings again, this time with the starting bid at $20 Grand. It'll only be around until June 17th.

[Image: blackbelt1.jpg] For years, people thought that this was a rendering of the Sega Black Belt console design, but it's actually revealed to be the Pluto, when the actual prototypes surfaced.
[Image: AlexSingature1.png] Credit to EdBoy3 (thanks, dude!)
BIG NEWS: There WAS a prototype Infinium Labs Phantom console on eBay. The auction has ended since.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinium-Labs-Phantom-Game-Console-/130953755829?pt=Video_Games&hash=item1e7d73bcb5

In case you don't know, look at this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment

NOTICE: The link for the ended auction currently redirects to a search result for video games that have the word "phantom" in their name, so forget about it! 

Hey, some of you know the Neo-Geo CD, right? Well, have you ever heard of the Neo-Star? No? Allow me.

At one point, SNK was coming up with a next-generation Neo-Geo console that plays special CD games, and had a plethora of features years ahead of its time. That console, was the Neo-Star. Below here is a modified artists' impression from NeoGAF:

Features: dual CD-1/CD-ROM drive for playing special CD Neo-Geo games (CD-1 for movie-quality sound/graphics to be played with via cartridges), infared joystick controllers that are lighter than the original AES' boasting comfortable palm grips and on-board headphone ports, surround sound sockets, a Super-Scart system, 640x480 resolution, a memory card with 20 times the capacity of the original (which had a capacity of 2 Kilobytes, so multiply that by 20, and you get 40KB), a 32-bit RISC CPU running at 14.5MHz, and an expansion port for other stuff (a cable TV/modem for multi-player gameplay and home-banking, 3D goggles system and a keyboard facility)

There was also speculation of a CD add-on for the original AES that has some of the Neo-Star's features, meant for those who already have the AES but did not want to give up their machines.

Unfortunately, the Neo-Star wasn't meant to be. My guess, is that the production costs would be too hefty, so they toned it down big time into what is essentially a CD version of the AES that doesn't use memory cards.
[Image: 552683994_tp.jpg] Neo-Geo CD front loader. As far as I know, only 25,000 of these were made.

Neo-Geo CD top loader. I put the pic in a spoiler because it's pretty darned big

Neo-Geo CD Controller Pro. Again, it's a big pic so I put it in a spoiler. Oh, and did you see the resemblance between this and the Neo-Star controller?

That Neo Geo thing looks more like a Printer than a Console.

By the way, does that Phantom thing on the Auction works as an actual console or just a model?
[Image: Sparky.jpg]
Semper Natura Credo | Always trust your instincts.

Quote:That Neo Geo thing looks more like a Printer than a Console.

By the way, does that Phantom thing on the Auction works as an actual console or just a model?

Yes, that Phantom is a working unit, but the guy had no way to play anything on it.
I thought its supposed to play PC games at the very least old games like Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem and whatever it was during the 90s.
Yeah it plays PC games, and you would get them via download.
So that means it can't fit in CD Roms or Flash Drives which has games in it?
Some sort of early Playstation Network/X-BOX Live Game Download scheme?
[quote name="Basara Shirochi" post="3486" timestamp="1382130799"]
So that means it can't fit in CD Roms or Flash Drives which has games in it?
Some sort of early Playstation Network/X-BOX Live Game Download scheme?
[/quote]

You could say that. Of course, the concept of downloading games went back as far as the Atari Gameline and Intellivision PlayCable.

pamplet for Gameline
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRw90hpqhGE[/youtube] PlayCable ad

The next obscure console to talk about; the Capcom CPS Changer.

In 1994, Capcom attempted to compete with SNK's Neo-Geo AES with this console, which was based on the CP System I hardware, in the niche of high-end arcade-quality gaming consoles. The main console unit plays these HUMONGOUS game cartridges that are special versions of CP System I motherboards programmed for home use. When I said humongous, I meant larger than the main console unit of the Neo-Geo AES. Oh, and they use a modified version of the plastic casings used by the CP System Dash motherboards

CP System Dash motherboard compared to AES main console.

This is a CPS Changer game cart, particularly of Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

The difference between a CPS Changer game cart and a CP System Dash motherboard is that the former doesn't have any of the features the latter possess. The reason; The CPS Changer carts are based on the specifications of the older hardware.

Oh, and in case you didn't know; the same year, prior to coming out with the CP System II, Capcom experimented with upgrading the aging CP System hardware, with features that would carry over to the CP System II such as Q-Sound audio chips, plastic casings for the circuit boards, and suicide batteries.

CP System Dash asides, the main console unit uses the same type of controller ports as the SNES. Plus, the system and games were also available by mail order at the time, too. The last game Capcom released for the CPS Changer was a back-ported version of Street Fighter Alpha. They withdrew support for the system in 1996, seeing as it wasn't selling too well. The system and games were also expensive, but the prices were lower than the AES and its games.
Hey guys, guess what?!?!

An old resin mock-up of the Sega Pluto had shown up on eBay! This mock-up was displayed at E3 at one point in the 1990s! Take a look here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Saturn-Pluto-PROTOTYPE-System-MODEL-Console-For-E3-RARE-One-of-A-Kind-/261746960631?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3cf155a8f7