• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome back to the Forum! (v3.0.0 Launch)
Hey guys! Welcome back to the Forum!

Looks like you all suffered quite a shock seeing the Forum suddenly go down last Thursday but I've been working tirelessly the past few days to restore at least some functionality so that you can all return to the Forum. At long last, I'm in a position where I can launch the Forum once again to allow you all to talk once more and to run tests on the new software. Never know whether bugs or stability issues might appear if I'm the only one using the Forum, eh? Tongue

But of course, the question many of you likely want to know; what exactly happened to cause the downtime?  Huh

To put it simply, I received a DMCA takedown request last Wednesday, alerting me that the Forum was running on an illegal copy of the InvisionPower Suite and I was given 24 hours to remove it from the server. Naturally, as I wasn't the one to perform our transfer to that software all those years ago (a friend performed it for me as a favour), I wasn't aware of it at all and was rushing to see what options I had available to me. Unfortunately, the InvisionPower Suite costs hundreds of dollars to purchase and use, so I wasn't able to purchase a license of that and had to look for other alternatives.

The Forum is now running on the public domain MyBB software, which is one of the leading Forum software systems on the internet and has a low load on the server as well. I've been impressed by its flexibility to appear how I want it to and the ease to create new functions as well, so I can see us using this for quite a while. However, as usual with Forum transfers, the database we were using had to be converted to be readable by MyBB, which wasn't a simple task at all, and we did lose some data as a result (but nothing crucial). The database contained 250,000 lines of code, which is actually amazing to see, yet painful to convert.

Oh, and remember those spam users? Yeah, I cleared those out when doing that. 700 user accounts were deleted because they had a post count of 0. Hopefully that cleans things up and gives us a real member count for once!

So yeah, there are a number of issues still lingering around, and you'll likely notice them at some point. I've tried to address as many bugs as I can before launching (@Quy Le, I'm sorry, I had to remove all the accented characters in your name. Yes, that was actually a bug!). If you find any, be sure to report them using our new ticket system so I can log them and address them as soon as possible. Notices on existing bugs I'm already aware of can be found in the new Bug Reports forum as well, so be sure to keep an eye on that and report any information there as well Tongue

You'll also notice that the banner is a bit of a rushed version at the moment. I'm working on the theme slowly and steadily, but functionality needs to come first. However, if you have design ideas for the banner at the top of the page, I'm all eyes and ears. I want to see your designs and, who knows, I may even implement it for everyone to see! Give it a try! Big Grin

The last thing I want to address which could work out quite nicely for both you guys and the Forum itself; Tapatalk support has been added to the Forum. Some of you requested this previously, but I've now managed to implement it and it's working great! You can download the app from the App Store on your smartphones and tablets and view the Forum directly inside that for native mobile support. And, in addition, the Forum gets paid for just viewing a thread here, allowing us to potentially become sustainable as a Forum and pay the monthly fees. Give it a try and see if you like it!

Well, that brings this to a close. I'm sorry the downtime lasted as long as it did, but I worked tirelessly to restore functionality as quick as I could. If you guys have any feature requests/change recommendations for the Forum, be sure to recommend them in the replies below!

Thanks everyone! Let's keep this community going! Big Grin
howdoyoudoaquote.

"...running on an illegal copy of the InvisionPower Suite..."
But didn't your friend pay that for you? How is it still illegal?
A-ya, AKA the dead unfortunate.
Looks amazing good sir
[Image: Kodoh_Kuraki.jpg]

Thanks to kyousuke for the Sig.
(Tuesday January 19th, 2016 - 01:42 PM)Shadow Wrote: howdoyoudoaquote.

"...running on an illegal copy of the InvisionPower Suite..."
But didn't your friend pay that for you? How is it still illegal?

There should be two buttons under a post now; Reply, which directly takes the post that you're on, and Quote, which allows you to select multiple posts to quote at once.

As for that; no, it appears a cracked version was used, allowing the requirement for a license to be bypassed.

(Tuesday January 19th, 2016 - 01:51 PM)Lone Bshot Wrote: Looks amazing good sir

Thanks Lone! It's hardly complete yet but hopefully everyone will love it when we've got as much functionality back into the Forum again!
i think the whole website looks pretty but is kinda confusing, this might be because ive been using the old one for almost 2-3 years now but what ever

wait you got rid of the harlem shake star?! whats wrong with you!!!!! jk jk
[Image: ?action=view%C3%82%C2%A2%C3%82%C2%B4t=Ca...dansen.gif][img]webkit-fake-url://681102ca-ce30-4862-8c27-9f11665ef654/imagegif[/img]
It's definitely a little more confusing compared to the previous layout, though I'm fairly used to it already due to being on other Forums that use the same software. Anything specific you dislike? The layout is very flexible with this software, and something you may dislike may also be disliked by someone else Tongue
This will take some getting used to but I'm glad the community is back. Big Grin
[Image: Sparky.jpg]
Semper Natura Credo | Always trust your instincts.
[+] 1 user Likes Ryukou's post
ive been inactive for so long XD anyways i only dislike not having the harlem shake button i guess you could say it was nostalgic
[Image: ?action=view%C3%82%C2%A2%C3%82%C2%B4t=Ca...dansen.gif][img]webkit-fake-url://681102ca-ce30-4862-8c27-9f11665ef654/imagegif[/img]
I've been inactive and when I tried logging in last week, I was shock that I was not able to login. But at least I able to login on the next day by changing my password. Honestly, when I first login, I was confused with some of the buttons and other settings. But I'm glad that this community is back.
Well I know I'm a bit late to this chat but it did say welcome back,
so hi I haven't been on this forum for almost two years now! But it look nice as I remember except for the software changes.