B-Daman Wiki Forums
Breaking Ball Core Fire Version - Printable Version

+- B-Daman Wiki Forums (http://forum.bdamanwiki.com)
+-- Forum: B-Daman Competitive (http://forum.bdamanwiki.com/Forum-B-Daman-Competitive)
+--- Forum: Reviews (http://forum.bdamanwiki.com/Forum-Reviews)
+--- Thread: Breaking Ball Core Fire Version (/Thread-Breaking-Ball-Core-Fire-Version)

Breaking Ball Core Fire Version - ToxicAtom - Friday April 1st, 2016

[Image: gsasDdm.jpg]

I noticed a lack of In-depth reviews on Lord Cavalry, and the one I did find had tons of misinformation. While I don't own Lord Cavalry itself, I do own the standalone reprint of it's core, decorated for use with the armor set of Cobalt Blade, Saber, or Saber Fire. While my two copies of Cobalt Saber Fire are stuck on the other side of the country, I'll review the core in it's out-of-box form, plus a few things changed, which will be explained later.

Part 1: Construction

I was an idiot and forgot to take pictures of the parts on the sprue unstickered.
Note that the set does include a head for the core, but was malformed on my copy and shall not be pictured, as it is unuseable. 
Assembly starts with applying the marker sticker and adding this stopper that keeps it from falling off even if the glue dries off. Very thoughtful on Takara's part. You'll know you did it right if the red "speed" is centered with the one smaller hold part. Then we attach the drive strip (Actually, it's more like a drive block or chunk, but I digress). A spare is included, in case the main one gets worn down to the point of uselessness.
Note that these strips wear down EXTREMELY quickly using the Spike and Metal Spike shots, ESPECIALLY  the Metal Spike Shot. The teeth of the spike strips shave down the rubber, but the spin applied is quite impressive. It's so strong, a Side Spin will immediately travel left or right within centimeters of leaving the barrel. It's actually kinda comical to watch. Only use these strike shots with this core if having an intense spin is absolutely necessary.
next we place the Hold Part Assembly and the Trigger into the Core Shell. Note that the placement of the trigger will impact performance. This orientation is better for power, but is notably harder to push than if it were reversed.
Next, we add the Rear Fin, Underbarrel Buckle, and Loading Ring after closing the two halves of the core together. Adding the spring now is also recommended.
Next we attach the Folding Wing Grips and the Magazine Adapter. The Magazine Adapter does not expand the capacity of the core, it simply allows the use of a normal magazine. If you're so inclined, you can attach a standard plastic bottle to the Core directly, in place of the Magazine Adapter.
And here's the finished product, with a stand-in Head and Feet. 

Part 2: Function
the core is very straightforward. You turn the dial to the desired spin setting, and push the trigger. 
There are two wing grips which can be folded to function as stabilizers or handles, like Chrome Raven. These are a lot more sturdy than Chrome Raven, so I trust them more than it. Interestingly, there's a pair of stabilizers under the wing grips, so keeping them folded down is only useful for storage. Speaking of the stabilizers, they are very well designed and will support even the most bulky, heavy magazines you decide to slap on the back. You can put a 2-liter soda bottle on the back filled with marbles and it will still hold up. It's quite impressive. The core is specifically designed in such a way that you can't attach barrels of any kind. Furthermore, there's nowhere to mount back armor, however with the Wing Grips built into the core, there's no real loss in that regard. Other than that, it's compatible with all Zero and Zero 2 accessories, such as Armor, Magazines, Visors, etc. Like mentioned above, you can attach a bottle directly to the back. This includes the official PB Magazine Mk II, as well as normal soda bottles. Without any extra parts, the core holds 3 marbles. With the magazine adapter on, you can balance a 4th marble inside, but the recoil of firing causes it to bounce out almost every time, so it's not recommended.

Power is about equivalent to a Balance Core/Zero 1 Skeleton. Unlike those, power isn't very consistent. The core is extremely sensitive to the slight variations in each individual marble, so every shot will have a different outcome. That's just because of the design of the hold parts, and there's no real way around it without redesigning the entire thing. I don't have a BeeSpi V to prove this, but I can assure you that the differences are very noticeable. Also, because the transfer of motion is at an 80 degree angle, the force required to push the trigger is about 95% greater than the trigger on a normal B-Daman. However, since the core isn't too powerful, this isn't much of an issue. Rapid Fire is about equivalent to a Delta Core. As for the spin capability itself, they are equally inconsistent. Sometimes a drive shot will barely make it to a target, others it will hit the target with so much momentum it rebounds off and goes flying. Sometimes when you do a backspin shot, it slowly creeps up to the target, others it hits the target full-force and speeds back to you, and quite comically, sometimes it just plops out the barrel with no force whatsoever. It sounds like a deal breaker, but it's kinda funny to see. 

I won't be covering aesthetics. What you see is what you get, albeit stickers are entirely up to you.

Part 3: Conclusion

Overall, I have a very mixed opinion of this core. It's fairly pointless for a tournament-style game, and way too inconsistent to rely on. However, the novelty factor of it is amazing, and sometimes it's just dumb fun to shoot it and see what kind of silly tricks you can make the shot do. It's absolutely stellar for Break Bomber, where the backspin is real handy, and the occasional goof can add an element of surprise and spectacle that you don't normally see in Break Bomber. Being perfectly average in most ways, it's very much a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. A Revolver Hades Lite, if you will. If you have a Cobalt series blaster, or really any blaster with a blue armor set, this is a great piece and it's definitely worth a look. If you don't have a body set to use with it, Lord Cavalry is worth considering as well.